Thursday, April 9, 2009

Josh is no longer a web log virgin

help
-verb (used with object)
1) to give or provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need; contribute strength or means to; render assistance to; cooperate effectively with.
2) to save; rescue; succor
. . .
meddle
- verb (used with or without object)
to involve oneself in a matter without right or invitation; interfere officiously and unwanted.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have been giving quite a bit of thought to helping, being that I am learning to be a "professional helper". Mike Mather (Pastor at Broadway UMC) shared this video with me. May I resist the temptation to blur "help" with "meddling"; resist the pull to "help" without "knowing" . . .


1 comment:

  1. That's good stuff, Josh. To further complicate matters — I'm sure that to those who don't *want* to be "helped" (even if they truly need it), help seems a lot like meddling, you know.

    I would like to know how you all think this translates, to say, missions. To me, this is what sets Mana Deschisa apart. People have to want to be helped, or they fall out of the program. Further, Marshall and Co. are not in the business of treating/healing symptoms, which also creates a measure of dedication in those seeking help.

    ReplyDelete