Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Grameen Danone - Social Business Partnership

Here are the highlights of the purpose for which Danone yougurt and Grameen of Bangladesh joined forces in a new social business venture started in 2006:

Purpose:
Mission: Reduce poverty by a unique proximity business model which brings daily nutrition to the poor.
The JV (joint venture) will be designed and operated as a social business enterprise and will aim at sharing the benefits with its community of stakeholders.

Specific objectives:
Daily healthy nutrition to the poor:
Allow lower income consumers of Bangladesh to have access (in terms of affordability and availability) to a range of tasty and nutritious foods and beverages on a daily basis, in order to improve their nutritional status.
More specifically, help children of Bangladesh grow strong, thanks to tasty, nutritious food and beverage products they can consume every day, so that they can have a better future.

A unique proximity business model:
Design a manufacturing and distribution model that involves local communities.

Reduce poverty:
Improve the economic conditions of the local bottom class-population by:

  • Upstream: involving local suppliers (farmers) and helping them to improve their practices;
  • Production: involve local population via a low cost/labor intensive manufacturing model;
  • Downstream: contributing to the creation of jobs through the distribution model.
Creating a World Without Poverty - Social Business and the Future of Capitalism
by Muhammad Yunus





1 comment:

  1. Excerpts from "Mother Theresa in My Own Words"

    Some years ago Calcutta experienced a great shortage of sugar. One day, a boy about four years old came to see me with his parents. They brought me a small container of sugar.

    When they handed it to me, the little one told me: "I have spent three days without eating any sugar. Take it. This is for your children."

    The little one loved with an intense love. He expressed it by a personal sacrifice. I repeat: he was no more than three or four years old. He could hardly say my name. I did not know him; I had never seen him before. Nor had I met his parents. The boy made that decision after he found out, from the grownups, about my situation.

    "What is a Christian?" someone asked a Hindu man. He responded, "The Christian is someone who gives."

    I ask you one thing: do not tire of giving, but do not give your leftovers. Give until it hurts, until you feel the pain.

    ReplyDelete