Friday, July 3, 2009

You know you're a parent when your dining room table is turned into a diaper changing station.
Our house right now is basically kiddified. Walking into each room it is impossible not to tell that children live here. Our home is lived in and I like it that way. I grew up in a similar way and I am grateful to my parents that they viewed hospitality as more important then what a house looks like. Hospitality and generousity are the two qualities that my parents posessed that I am very proud of. I embrace this about them and make it more intentionally apart of who I am.

I recently read a few letters that my mom had written to me while I was at Stellenbosch University. My mom passed away 10 years ago, and my dad nine years ago. All the letters started with; " My Dear Darling. They were very loving. They were really well written and to my surprise were quite humorous as well. I remember my dad being the funny one but my mom must have been too. I realize that my memory is selective and I think I have focused on some of the negative aspects of their personalities, not only because I am a therapist but because it somehow made the loss easier to deal with. If I didn't have to think of all the experiences and times I was missing out on then it wouldn't be so hard. I miss them very much and I love them very much. They really were wonderful parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment